Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Awesomest News!

Magnolia Bakery, the cupcakery (which is what I'd name my bakery) in the Village that everyone knows, is opening an UWS outpost. I'd be more enthusiastic if I LOVED their cupcakes. I like the icing, but the cake never did it for me. The Nilla wafer and banana pudding, tho, I cld die! It's one of the best foods on earth and I'm not exaggerating. They also have the icebox cake that my mom used to make...literally.

Anyways, here's the scoop (ice cream cupcakes is a genius idea, GENIUS, there are ice cream cakes, why not ice cream cupcakes? They had them at Maggie Moos and although I never had one (A, why is that?) I am still on the lookout. My Maggie Moos closed...still not sure why. )


Exclusive: Magnolia Bakery Opening Upper West Side Outpost
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
The now-shuttered Lenge at 69th Street and Columbus. Soon to be a Magnolia Bakery.
At this time, we'd instruct you to brace yourselves, but that's just not going to get it done. Rumors that the Upper West Side will soon get an outpost of the mega-famous Magnolia Bakery are 100% true. As confirmed to Eater late last night by Magnolia owner Steve Abrams, Magnolia UWS will open in the space that was Lenge between Thanksgiving and Christmas. "I live on the Upper West Side," says the man. "My friends who know I own Magnolia keep asking when I'm going to open them a bakery up here. So I think it's time."
This location will be quite a bit bigger than the Bleecker Street original, though plans are to preserve much of the small quarters feel of bakery uptown. Abrams will do a gut renovation on Lenge, before he installs Magnolia with an "updated look" from architect Mark Zeff (Red Cat, Mermaid Inn). As a special bonus to the neighborhood, the new space will have a private party room, which is guaranteed to make the Upper West Side parent set quite happy, at least until a highly localized child obesity problem sets in.
We posed the question to Abrams of whether he's hoping to ease some of the Sex and the City tourist burden his downtown store faces: "Downtown is not the neighborhood place it was opened to be. It's taken on a different shape—and we love our customers there, but it's just different. This one [on the UWS] in my mind is really a neighborhood place. You're not going to have the tourists, I don't think. Hopefully we can keep it a neighborhood secret." A near impossibility, of course, but we wish him the best of luck with it.

No comments:

Daily Candy - YUMMY!!