Monday, October 29, 2007

How was your weekend?

Good? Super? Did a little pre-Halloween partying?
My weekend was pretty darn great. Perfect fall weather (Sunday anyway) so I could wear my new sweaters and coats. (No matter that on Saturday I wore what everyone else at Saks was swearing on Sunday...jeans, black shoes, black long sleeve-T (note to self, get more bacl lngsleeve t-s at old navy ASAP) w/a short bell or pouf-sleeve mid-thigh large-knit grey sweater...Mine is Vince and super soft...even A said so).

Went to 2, no 3, no I lost count, new stores/bakeries/candy shops, I'd been wanting to try. Saw a DRV-IN movie in NYC! What? Yes, a drive-in movie right on the LES! Pictures below.
Friday, I don't really remember. I do know that it was the 1st Friday in 3 weeks I wasn't making an apple pie!

(that's my hand w/my messed-up manicure hidden behind my apple corer...what, not everyone has an apple corere? I'm a regular Martha Stewart!)

Saturday, A and I, even tho it was raining and even tho he may have had homework, hung out all day and 1st tried the new cafe at the expanded upstairs Food Emporium on 3rd and 67-68th. GREAT latte, and since it's a grocery store and the cafe was out of plain bagels (yeah, I had a bagel, don't judge me!) they just went to get one. They didn't need 5 people behind the counter, but it was good and I got to check it off my list. The going there, not the bagel. Then, we dreidled around (gotta give lamere credit for that one) and went to Bloomies, where I'd been needing to go to look for a bag (more on that in my Sunday recap). A got stuff he needed...men's dept = BORING. He finally got a grown-up wallet. He had one when we met, then I found a money clip in a cab and he adopted that, to many complaints, even when I bought him a new one, not previously owned and discarded, for his 30th (among other things), he returned it. ANYWAYS...So, got lots done at Bloomies. Got to see bags I'd seen online, in real life and learned the straps are either too long or too short or too expensive.

I got this in black. It's MUCH cooler than it looks in person and yeah, I KNOW IT'S A BABY BAG. I KNOW. I don't need one yet, so relax everyone. It was the perfect size and appropriately pocket-y. Not to say I'm throwing the included changing pad away, but I don't need to change my kid on a Marc by Marc Jacobs plasticized thing. Really....There are much more important brands to poop on. Plus, I gotta save for the world's coolest stroller!

OK, where was I? Saturday, so, umm, Bloomies, etc. Then we went to pick up my coat which was being monogrammed and altered (sleeves shortened). Do you know anyone who spells Jessica Jesicca? Apparently the F-ing monogram artists/morons do. So now they have to fix it. So, let that be a lesson to you all, NO WHERE is perfect. Not even places with the best service. Where they give you champagne for fun. ARG! The horrified look on the salesgirl's face didn't even really help. But I knew we had a lot more to do so I moved on, got more coffee and continued.

We ended our day downtown, but not before returning stuff at Uniqlo in SoHo, and then finding my new perfect trench w/a removable lining that I've been looking for forever, on the way out so we turned around and bought it. Yipee! My black rain-trench is just not working. I've have it altered, more than once, and it's still annoying every time i wear it. DONE. My Burberry rain coat is so old it's just icky by now. The lining doesn't lay flat and I'm just sick of it. So this NEW coat can replace both! Yipee! YIPEE!

Then we wandered our way to the LES, popping (ha ha...wait for it) into the new candy store you may or may not have read all about, Papabubble. YUM! We got the eucalyptus, honey lemon, and for me the chocolate filled spearmint. They really are pretty, but get a Werthers and save your $.


Next we went to Katz's for dinner. OHMIGOD. It was so freaking good! We split a knoblewurst w/sauerkraut and hot corned beef sandwiches. What's knoblewurst? A giant hot dog. OHMIGOD! DELISH. Reminded me of the time my papa made me salami and eggs. I want that to be my last meal....and considering the cholesterol content it might be! Did I say OHMIGOD? Then we wandered around(tried to digest) the LES for a bit, waiting for our movie to start.

Yes, our DRIVE IN movie! Here are some pix. It was really fun and a very well executed concept. Only $75 for the car/movie and DVD of whatever you see (if the Amazon delivery comes in in time...for the experience alone it was worth it) I've had "go to a drive-in" on my list since the 1st time I saw Grease. "why-y-y-y-y oh why" CHECK it off my list, so, if you're keeping track of the list, we've got new coat to replace 2 others, drive-in, new candy store, and we're not even done w/Saturday yet! I know I already wrote abt the bag, but that didn't happen 'til Sunday.

out side while another movie is going on

inside the car and the tree w/the little lights in it.Our view from the back-seat!

Move title from our seat. Us, finally, at a drive in movie (with my OLD bag in the front seat).

Bored yet? just wait! Preview: 20% off everything at Saks! I KNOW, crazy right?!


Ok, so after the movie, which was just a fun thing to do...OH wait! Before the movie I go to go back to Schiller's Liquor Bar. I'd been a few years ago, before our wedding, and had an alcoholic egg cream. I LOVED it and made sure we had them at our wedding. The one picture of me w/my dad at cocktail hour is of us with rootbeer floats (an understandable partner to an eggcream).
The drink is no longer on the menu, but I ordered one and the VERY nice bartender made me one. YUMMY! Then we went to the movie.


Then after the movie we went to a new bakery called How Sweet It Is. The link there also will tell you abt Papabubble. The former pastry chef at River Cafe, who co-opened the bakery used to work out at Golds Gym in Bklyn where I worked out during law school and for wedding-prep. And, now that I look at the trainers website, I can see that the pastry chef is listed as a trainer there! Better to work off all those pastry calories! She was really nice and the chocolate sea-salt-caramel tart I had was DELISH so I hope the bakery does well. A also loved his honey panna cotta. They make wedding cakes too at their catering location. Note: if you go to the site, click on "Arber O. Deda," click on "View My Clients Gallery," and the second client is ME! Right now I'm in between the before and after. The After was taken the night of my bachelorette party. I looked great!


Moving on....Sunday I needed to return some shoes at Saks and since this post is getting realllly long, I'll just say that the shoe dept was out of control, but why? Friends and Family 20% off almost everything in the store and 15% off cosmetics. I didn't need much, except a new bag which I got (see above) and some more of this and this, at 15% off I couldn't not!

The end. Now it's Monday and the start of a new week!

No comments:

Daily Candy - YUMMY!!